Nya Reads

1. I read Fantasy ever since I can remember. 2. My guilty pleasure is chick lit. And 3. You can call me Nya.

NB I do not claim to be a literature expert, these are only my opinions. I am also here and here.

The Legend of Wonder Woman #1

(Originally posted here)

First of all, I would like to warn you that the following review will be coming from a Comic Book newbie, and as any personal opinion, as subjective as it can be.

Seeing as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice made Wonder Woman reconquer her presence in pop culture, it is no surprise to see DC Comics taking the opportunity to bring us new and hopefully refreshing projects. One of them is the all-ages mini series called The Legend of Wonder Woman which piqued my curiosity right away.

As you could probably guess by the name, the series is a take on Diana’s origin story (and one of the multiple Wonder Woman origins currently being released). It has been written and drawn by Renae de Liz, and inked by her husband Ray Dillon; and in my humble personal opinion, the involvement of a female artist has contributed very positively to a deeper, more empathetic reinterpretation of the character of Diana (and her world).

The book opens with a narrative that starts right from the very beginning, with a very specific history of the Amazons and Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons. It then progresses smoothly, from Diana’s birth through her relationship with her mother and to her own internal struggles. All of these events are narrated in a way that focuses primarily the emotions of each character involved. And how delightful this is!

The storytelling style is easy to grasp, De Liz doesn’t simply throw you into an unknown world, opting instead for being very clear about the basics, the concept, and the history of the Amazons itself. The pacing is perfect, it compels you to keep reading.

The art is what I would describe as ‘adorable’, expressive visuals that are perfectly complemented by the lettering and clever layout. In fact, the last time I went to the Comic Book shop to buy one of the latest issues, the lady who attended to me pointed at the cover and exclaimed: “Aw, isn’t she adorable in this series!” The attendant has also mentioned how both her and her nephew were reading the series together, which only emphasizes the fact of it being refreshingly targeted to young readers and girls.

Overall, the first issue of The Legend of Wonder Woman felt extremely magical, emotional and spiritual to me. It explores not only Diana’s core, but her motivations, her background, her past. If our experiences dictate the ‘what’, ‘how’ and ‘why’ we do what we do, then this series could be the missing link for the true understanding of Wonder Woman’s character.

With the main question being it “Where does this story fits in the DC continuity”, I admit it makes me only slightly sad that it most likely doesn’t. At the very least, I would like to see more of this Diana, daughter of Hippolyta, whose motivations and past have been finally explored, and more of this magical society of peaceful Amazons secluded from the outside world. Apart from that, and judging by this first amazing issue, these series is more than enough to be enjoyed on its own, and personally recommended by me.