Nya Reads

1. I read Fantasy ever since I can remember. 2. My guilty pleasure is chick lit. And 3. You can call me Nya.

NB I do not claim to be a literature expert, these are only my opinions. I am also here and here.

Chicks and Balances - Esther M. Friesner, John Helfer, Jody Lynn Nye, Jim C. Hines, Elizabeth A. Vaughan, Harry Turtledove, Kerrie L. Hughes, Steven Harper Piziks, Wen Spencer, Julia S. Mandala, Jean Rabe, Alex Shvartsman, Sarah A. Hoyt, Robin Wayne Bailey, Laura Resnick, Lee Martindale, Patr Asimov's Science Fiction, October/November 2015 - Sheila Williams

Short Stories Sunday #1

I have started this on my blog, and then I thought, I'd share it on booklikes as well.

Now, of course, as everything else I post, this is not a weekly feature - specially not this one, but only when there's relevant material (i.e. Whenever I read short stories!)

So, these are the ones I've read this week.

book icon “A chick off the old block” by Jody Lynn Nye, available on Chicks and Balances (Chicks in Chainmail #6)

1435275198_star 1435275198_star1435275198_star1435275198_star1435275201_star-outline

“A shieldmaiden, eh? Not a simple servant?” the Master said, his eyes glowing. “This will be fun.”

This was a very entertaining story, full of chick action (chicks for the win!), and featuring a duchess who might be more than what meets the eye. I really liked Jody Lynn Nye’s writing style and the story flows very well.

book icon  “The girls from the hood” by Jim C. Hines, available on Chicks and Balances (Chicks in Chainmail #6)

First, we have fairytale heroines. Then, put them all together in the same gang. Gang, you read it right. Final result: You get this awesome story!

I’ve got a short story coming out in Chicks and Balances this year that’s essentially a different imagining of similar fairy tale characters and settings. (Imagine Little Red Riding Hood as an old biker chick.)

I don’t currently have any plans to write more Princess books, but we’ll see what happens. The next few book ideas I’m playing with would be more my own ideas, but I enjoy playing with other stories, so I’m sure I’ll get back to that sort of thing sooner or later.

book icon “The Adjunct Professor’s Guide to Life After Death” by Sandra McDonald, available on Asimov’s Science Fiction, October/November 2015

1435275198_star1435275198_star1435275198_star1435275201_star-outline1435275201_star-outline

This is an interesting story narrated in first person (and in the present tense) by our character Lea Davis, who is a ghost. While she haunts the place where she committed suicide, we become aware of a few disturbing revelations.

My name is Lea Davis. I’m the resident ghost of the second floor of Building 2.

book icon “My Time on Earth” by Ian Creasey, available on Asimov’s Science Fiction, October/November 2015

We can say this is another ghost story (or the retelling of a ghost story), but with a very different tone if we compare it to the previous one. This is also what they call a second person narrative.

Yes, Stacey, I did see a ghost. Do you want to hear the story, or not?

So Amy from Mars visited Earth, and now she is telling ‘us’ about what happened there. Hint: It involves a ghost. And guess what, this story is set in York, England!

And that’s it for today! What about you? Any interesting short stories you have been recently reading?