Nya Reads

1. I read Fantasy ever since I can remember. 2. My guilty pleasure is chick lit. And 3. You can call me Nya.

NB I do not claim to be a literature expert, these are only my opinions. I am also here and here.

Royal Wedding (The Princess Diaries #11) - Meg Cabot

Royal Wedding: Princess Diaries, Volume XI - Meg Cabot

I was offered a free copy of this book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

For someone who has very vague memories of The Princess Diaries, I loved this book more than I thought I would. But then again, coming from Meg Cabot, I am not surprised.

My favorite points:

– Mia’s voice and of course, the diary format of the book – This is the Princess diaries after all. Contrary to popular opinion, I enjoyed the fact that Mia still sounds the bubbly and sassy teenager that we were used to. Others might perceive as this character being immature (despite her age) but I see it as maintaining her essence and spirit. The shock between her usual behaviour and her new ‘adult’ problems only make things more interesting.

“I always thought when I became an adult everything would become less confusing, but unfortunately, everything’s only becoming more confusing.”

– And it’s hilarious! Mia’s rants and internal debates are never pointless, they will make you laugh no matter what. There are many pop culture references and a hint of satire.

“Despite all evidence to the contrary, Grandmère believes that Ron Weasley, not Voldemort, is the villain of the Harry Potter series.”

– ‘Girl Power’ with a fairytale touch. The concept that everything will be fine in the end but that it just doesn’t happen like magic. In fact, this is the lesson of this series: Mia is ‘just a girl’ but she is in control, she will fight for equality and will make her own decisions!

“I’m not some shy virginal college student who only owns one shirt.”

– The romance. Cute in a strangely non-cheesy way!

“Come on.” He pressed his forehead against mine, grinning.
“You’re happy about this. I can tell. It wasn’t exactly what we had planned, but it’s a surprise, not a disaster. A surprise is a good thing. Right?”

But, of course, there is always something you like less, and in this case:

– I thought there was too much going on in the plot. The title is the Royal Wedding, but realistically enough, the focus of the book seems to be elsewhere.

Overall, the Royal Wedding was hilarious and a very enjoyable reading experience – One of my favourites of 2015.